Monday, August 10, 2009

Perfect Marinara


Italians didn't start cooking with tomatoes until the 1850's. They were introduced to the Italians by the Spanish in the 1500's but they weren't very popular. It is difficult to imagine Italian cooking without them now. My family is from Northern Italy where the food differs a great deal from the Americanized versions we commonly see in the U.S.
I like meatless sauces.

Perfect Marinara

2 small onions diced
2 carrots peeled and diced
2 stalks celery diced
1/4 olive oil

Heat the olive in a stock pot until hot. Add onions, carrot and celery and saute until golden about 15 minutes.

1/4 dry white wine
2 28 oz cans diced tomatoes
1 tsp salt I always use Kosher
5 basil leaves
3 bay leaves

Add the wine to the vegetables and stir until evaporated on high heat. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for a good hour. You can puree the sauce for a smoother consistency. Various herbs can be added. This is a very basic recipe and can be personalized with oregano, marjoram, hot pepper flakes...as you like it!

I serve this sauce over brown rice pasta as I do not eat wheat but any pasta will do.

2 comments:

  1. I'll try this one. It sounds great, and looks great in the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been looking for a good recipe to try making my own sauce. I'm going to bookmark this one and try it (as soon as I can walk into the kitchen without throwing up).

    ReplyDelete