Thursday, July 16, 2009

Chef Cameron


I invited Chef Cameron Krahel of The Inn at Honey Run to be a guest at the farmers market. We scheduled a meeting to discuss ideas. He invited me to his home just outside of the neighboring town. I made my way down a long gravel driveway and quickly noticed a large garden and chicken coop. When I knocked on the door of the red-metal roofed house a delightful Dalmatian appeared. It seemed Cameron was not yet home so I waited.
Cameron arrived a few minutes later. He let Gracie, the Dalmatian out and then we walked to the chicken coop where he opened the door for an assortment of outgoing heritage breeds. He showed me his garden and we strolled about the property while he gave me some history. Gracie insisted I throw the tennis ball over and over and over again and I was happy to comply.
At one time a previous owner was so paranoid his neighbors were going to cut down his trees, he cut them down himself and buried them. Cameron is still dealing with this as he digs in preparation of an orchard.
Cameron's home is new but has much character. The kitchen, as you might imagine, is the heart of the home and looks like Mario Batali's set kitchen.
Cameron agreed to come to the market every other week to do cooking demonstrations using products provided by the market vendors.
Week one was a huge success. Cameron prepared a delicious cheese soup, a vegetable fritata and a zucchini pasta with tomatoes. Samples were given away for free and most took a recipe print-out home.
In addition to his culinary skills, Cameron has also been know to win small town versions of American Idol type contests. Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment