Monday, May 4, 2009

Bird Hike

Francesca and I attended a bird hike last Saturday. It was a lovely, moist morning. There were pictures of birds in various trees along the hike. We were given a list of birds and were required to match the names with the numbered pictures. It turns out we don't the names of too many birds. In fact, we were pathetic. As we walked along the wooded path near the Tuscarawas River I began to wonder if any of the birds on the list were native to the area. One in particular, was a water bird called a Coot. I have never seen such a bird.

The ruins of the former canal system were even more exciting than the pictures hanging in the trees. There is the perfect amount of moss on everything. This system, at one time so vital to industry and commerce, is melting back into nature in a slow, sad, beautiful way.

2 comments:

  1. "slow, sad, beautiful way" is a great description.

    I know just what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where are the canal ruins? I love exploring places like that. Since we don't have places with thousands of years old ruins in America I have to settle for 200 or so year old ones.

    Still beautiful in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete