Saturday, May 9, 2009

Paula Thomas

Whatever happened to Paula Thomas? She was a chubby girl I knew in elementary school. She wasn't especially bright and she was tom-boyish in appearance and attitude.
She often told me of her family's visit to Ocean City Maryland. She loved the ocean.
Her parents had little money and her older brother, Donald, I think, was mean.
I remember her in a panic on the first day of fourth grade. Her hands had mysteriously turned blue. She was afraid to ask Miss Zingg what to do so she asked me. I asked her, "Paula, what have you touched?" She responded, "Nothing, nothing. I have just been standing here with my hands in my pockets." It was then I realized she had dye on her hands from her new jeans. I don't think she had ever had a new pair of jeans as she always wore her brother's hand-me-downs.
She was so relieved and so grateful I did not laugh at her.
What ever happened to Paula Thomas?

2 comments: