Saturday, November 7, 2009

Crack Head Perfume Sales Person Incident

I work in a deli in the town just across the river. It is generally a fast paced atmosphere as the business of feeding the hungry is as important a thing I can think of. I had prepared sandwiches, bowls of soup and apple crisp for a family of three and was ready to take on the next customer. I asked, in my loud enough to hear over the ovens, compressors and country music radio station, "May I help you?" She did not want a sandwich, a bowl of soup or even apple crisp. She wanted to let me know she was having a 65-75% off sale on designer perfume. My first thought was she was a crack head, although she was a bit chubby to be a crack head. She could have been a new crack head, yet to shed the pounds. My second thought was where does such a crack head get enough designer perfume to fill the trunk off her car. I did not see a trunk filled with designer perfume but images of Giorgio and Estee Lauder that had mysteriously fallen off the back of a truck did surface. "Do you wear perfume?" asked the crack head. Without hesitation, I explained I was AT work and could not participate in her bizarre solicitation. She promptly left albeit a bit embarrassed. I suppose this is no different than an insurance sales person cold calling or a window cleaning service stopping in because we have lots of windows. Somehow it bothered me and continues to bother me.

1 comment:

  1. And it should bother now. HA! Now who has a freak magnet?

    ReplyDelete