Sunday, December 20, 2009

Salted Onion Loaf



I used my traditional boule dough for this recipe...

6 1/2 c flour
3 c warm water
1 1/2 Tbs yeast
1 1/2 Tbs kosher salt

Seriously, that's it. Put it all in a mixing bowl. Mix with an electric mixer, mine is a Kitchen Aid, with a dough hook for about three minutes. Cover the bowl with something, not air tight and let it rise in a warm spot. My house, especially the kitchen, is a little on the chilly side so I let it rise under the halogen lamp on my counter top. It is ready to use when it falls naturally, usually two hours.

Pull off a one pound chunk and form it into a ball. Place on a whole wheat covered peel or baking sheet. Sprinkle it with dehydrated onion and a generous amount of kosher salt. Let it rise again for 20 minutes. Make a few slashes across it before baking at 475 degrees for 30-35 minutes. I use a baking stone in the oven but it is not required.

I bought a new kind of flour, I love trying different flours. White, all purpose works best with this recipe. I tend to only use organic flour but it is not required. Today I used a higher gluten flour. The results were spectacular.

Refrigerate the rest of the dough and use within two weeks. Refrigerated dough will take longer on the second rise for obvious reasons...it's cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment