Sunday, April 19, 2009

Chalkboard Drawing


We have a wall in the house painted with chalkboard paint. Last night Francesca and I made bears. She commented on how my bear was better than her bear. "What makes it better?" I asked. She said it was because I had been drawing for a long long time and that is probably why it looked better. I think her bear looks terrific.
There comes a point in some children where they simply stop drawing. I never stopped drawing. I can't imagine Francesca will either.
When children are little they draw without limits because this is a truck and this is a tree and then they get older and someone starts telling them that that is not a truck and that is not a tree. As grown-ups, we keep our children from becoming artists because we impart expectations that, for some children, are too high.
Children should draw. Children should draw often. And no amount of criticism is justified.

1 comment:

  1. She's got the perfect person to guide her, though, so she might not stop drawing.

    ReplyDelete