Monday, April 6, 2009

Eat Like You Give a Damn


I think about what I eat and what I feed my family quite often, not to the point of obsession, but perhaps too much. I am not so concerned about certifications from the government as that usually doesn't mean much considering our food is regulated by two different agencies with something like ten agencies within them. Somehow I believe the food aspect gets lost in the paperwork.
Years ago I came across a Shopper's Guide to Pesticides published by an organization that like most organizations concerned with the health of humans and the rest of the planet is considered to be liberal or bleeding heart or whatever the buzz word du jour happens to be. In this guide, which you can read here http://www.foodnews.org/EWG-shoppers-guide-download-final.pdf is some nifty information about the fruits and vegetables containing the highest amounts of residual pesticides. Something in the logic part of my brain tells me, no matter how much anyone tries to convince me otherwise, pesticides are not something I want to eat. Ever.
I like to buy food grown as close to home as possible...and when that is not always possible say in the case of bananas or mangoes, I like to buy organic. When I buy food close to home I can sometimes come into direct contact with the farmer who grew it. Some argue this is the trendy shopping habit of the elitist, but I must disagree. A producer's reassurance his food was grown in a sustainable manner is usually enough to convince me it is a safer, healthier alternative to food produced in a factory setting with no regard to the aftermath that is conventional farming. When purchasing the certified organic food that has traveled a distance, I do feel a bit guilty about the required resources needed to bring the food to my table.

1 comment:

  1. I've got a head full of this stuff now after reading two books and preparing for joining you at the farm market meeting tomorrow. The other day, I found myself at the grocery store practically paralyzed because I couldn't figure out what to buy that wasn't tainted by something or other. I think I need to relax just a little and just be mindful.

    ReplyDelete