Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I Like Old Bricks


Last summer an odd fellow named Allister helped me dig out some bricks that were sinking in the Earth beneath a row of five trees. Many were damaged and only good for lining the bottoms of flower pots but some were intact enough to display proudly in the orchard. The orchard consists of two cherry trees and a yellow apple tree that has yet to prove itself. I planted some creeping thyme and a delightful creeping ground cover with yellow flowers. Spring has allowed them to reappear.
A neighbor, and the mayor of the village, has property up the road a bit where the tree line begins. There's an old house and a few old sheds he plans to tear down. The driveway is made up almost completely of 12 x 12 bricks from the old Robinson Brick and Clay Co. They're old but not as old as the Wagner bricks that make up two of the walks surrounding our house. The Wagner Family built our house in 1867. They owned the Wagner Brick Co. across the street near the railroad tracks. I had always wondered why they didn't build a brick house until I learned they had moved to Cleveland around the turn of the century to get into the lumber business.
I'd like to get my hands on the neighbor's bricks.

No comments:

Post a Comment