Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Mosquito Assassins


I am a council member in a village of 238 people. I believe the student population at my daughter's Catholic elementary school is greater. Every year about this time the village has to approve the contract for the mosquito assassins. They charge $2.10 a minute. That figure has not changed for 30 years. It is much like the price of table salt, one of the few commodities that has seen no significant change. At the council meeting last night I was torn between what is best for the village and what is best for my peace of mind. I decided....despite the disease carrying capabilities of mosquitoes and their ability to wipe out millions of people, I was opposed to the assassins coming around in their oddly equipped truck. I live on nearly one and half acres, complete with rain barrels and at times, standing water. I have never noticed an unusually large population of mosquitoes, so perhaps the assassins mysterious spray works. I would rather like to think it is because dragonflies and birds consume them in great quantities such is life and the natural order of things. I did not vote for or against the contract with the assassins, I merely abstained from voting. My call to the local health department to find out the content of the death spray remains unanswered. I believe the environmental director is out to lunch.

2 comments:

  1. Hello - I found your blog through Scout over at Just Sayin'.

    As much as I hate the nasty little buggers I don't like the assasins either.

    I used to run behind those trucks as a kid - what was I thinking?

    Actually i was thinking that if I got coated with the spray I wouldn't get bitten.

    I was wrong. Ohhhh...so wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate that they spray so close to our house. On the Wed. that are nice out, I have to remember to close all the windows or I end up running around trying to get them closed before the truck can get to our house.

    Then the next day I have to water the lawn and wash anything that was outside (chairs, toys, ect.) so it will hopefully lessen the exposure to the girls.

    I prefer to kill the buggers the old fashioned way. Lots of spiders!!! Outside of the house, of course.

    ReplyDelete