Thursday, April 2, 2009

Oscar


I let Oscar out right before I jumped in the shower this morning. He wears, or is supposed to wear a radio collar that I neglected to put on him. He's only left the yard 3 or 4 times in 8 years. When I got out of the shower he was nowhere to be found. Numerous bellows of his name proved unsuccessful, so I headed out in the Jeep with hopes of finding the beast unscathed. I feared I would find him on the road, lifeless. I reached the end of the driveway and spotted movement across the street in the field just South of the house, perhaps 200 yards away. I often see cats and groundhogs scampering about. As I proceeded I was certain it was Oscar. I drove nearer his location, pulled off the berm, onto the grass that edges the field. His bigness was enamored with a deer carcass that had been feeding the scavengers for two weeks. He jumped in the Jeep at my request and we turned to head for home...and to put that collar on him.

No comments:

Post a Comment