Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Spitting in Public

I had several errands to run yesterday. My first stop was a local drug store to pick up cotton balls, batteries and witch hazel. I pulled into the parking lot and noticed a man sitting in a red pick up truck a few spaces down. As I exited the Jeep I saw him spit out the window of his truck. A large white glob of spit lay on the contrasting black pavement. Sigh.
I had much to mail and was unsure of the weight of the envelopes so I decided a trip to the post office was in order. There was a small line of patrons and I patiently waited for my turn. I glanced out the window at the rain and silly people trying to avoid it. A man was sitting in a blue pick up truck directly in front of the post office in the handicapped space. The line moved slowly and I continued to watch the rain splash in the puddles. The man in the blue pick up rolled down his window and spit into the very puddle that had kept my attention. Disgustingly, the spit floated on top and looked like melting ice cream. Sigh.
I had to stop at a local garden center to inquire about plants I plan to purchase for a new shade garden. I rode over the gravel parking lot slowly and admired the pansies and primrose whose colors seemed more vibrant than usual against such a rainy, gray day. There were large piles of mulch that can be purchased by the scoop in various shades from red to black. A man in a yellow pick up truck with rust along the wheel wells was parked near the mulch piles. His window was rolled down and he was smoking a cigarette. As I made my way toward the building entrance he spit into the giant pile of red mulch. I stopped short and noticed it was stationary. The glob begin to ooze downward and as the rain became heavier it was washed away altogether. Sigh.
I continue to ponder the correlation between public spitting, waiting in parking spaces and pick up trucks.

1 comment:

  1. ew - you probably could apply for a grant to study the coorelation! Then you can break it down by make and model of pick up truck seems to be popular with those who spit!

    ReplyDelete