Sunday, April 19, 2009

Unusual Object


If you paused for a brief moment and asked yourself, "What is the most unusual object in my home?" What would the answer be?

Our home is filled with oddities, lots of art, a vintage camel whip from Saudi Arabia, a vendetta-type knife allegedly used to kill the lover of a cheating family member, a James Brown doll and the list could go on and on.

I've decided the most unusual object, however, is the hornet's nest that hangs in the kitchen. We can't recall how long we've had it. I might venture to say 15 years.

My mom saw the nest each day when she went to work. She had asked the grounds maintenance crew if they would cut it from the tree. They thought she was crazy. They feared hornets would come rushing out and poise themselves for an attack. Mom reassured them the nest was no longer in use and there was nothing to fear. Several days later they presented her with the nest attached to a 20 foot branch. She returned home that evening with the nest and Dad gladly hung it from the ceiling.
Oddly enough, not too many people question the nest. It just seems to be a part of the house and I suppose people accept it.

1 comment:

  1. How fascinating that it hasn't disintegrated. I'm not sure what the oddest thing in my house would be—we've got a Virginia Woolfe doll. Maybe that's it.

    ReplyDelete