Thursday, April 2, 2009

Magnolia


I have been fond of the old Magnolia tree in the back yard for as long as we have lived here. It is a safe haven and home to many birds. It is one of the first signs of Spring with it's giant pink blossoms. An arborist once told me it had some hollow spots from ants but assured me it would be around for another 10 or 15 years and that was 10 or 15 years ago. Curious how we become attached to trees. Last summer we had to take out a 100 year old Maple and it nearly broke my heart. There is still about a cord left that I burn in the kitchen fireplace to get the chill out of the house on these cool mornings.



1 comment:

  1. Magnolia blossoms are beautiful. My sister has a giant southern magnolia in her front yard, and she decorates her mantel with the greens at Christmas.

    My yard doesn't have anything old in it, but we lost a newer pear I was fond of, and I wanted to strangle the landscaper who did it.

    ReplyDelete