Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Perfectly Poisoned Lawn


The perfect lawn has no chemicals sprayed or sprinkled upon in to promote the growth of one plant and to stop the growth of another. The perfect lawn has toys strewn about. The perfect lawn has dog poop in it and the occasional goose poop, too.

I read a perfect lawn how to written by a local horticulturist. There were four steps to perfection and each of them required the application of man-made poisons.

I don't like the perfectly poisoned lawn. To some it is a sign of wealth and prestige. To me it is a sign of selfishness. That a lawn could be more important than the safety of our kids, our pets, the birds and bugs seems absurd to me.

Residential lawn care uses more chemicals than the agricultural industry each year.

I think there are closet lawn poisoners. I know people who practice good stewardship in nearly all aspects of their lives, but when I have visit their homes I have noticed they have a perfectly poisoned lawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment